Most people are aware of the hazards they face when they leave the house, such as traffic accidents and pollution. However, there are many health hazards that have the potential to develop in the home as well. Here are three health hazards that can be found at home.
Mold tends to grow in damp, dark locations including pipes, insulation, ceiling tiles, and carpet. Exposure to mold can cause reactions in people where their eyes, nose, throat, lungs, and skin become irritated. Some signs that you may have come in contact with mold include sneezing, experiencing a runny nose, and getting a skin rash. Although very rare, being exposed to mold even has the potential to be fatal.
Some things that you can do to prevent mold from growing in the house include:
- Promptly cleaning water spills or leaks
- Keeping the indoor humidity low
- Performing a mold inspection Lafayette LA to catch the problem early
Keep in mind that mold often grows in hard-to-see locations.
2. Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas, and it is these very features that make it so potentially dangerous. Carbon monoxide can be found in gas stoves, grills, fireplaces, and furnaces, and rarely poses a hazard as long as the appliance is functioning properly. However, if there is a leak in one of these appliances, it can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. It is possible to purchase a carbon monoxide detector for the home, which works in much the same way as a smoke detector.
Lead may be found in the paint of homes that were built before the 1978 ban on lead paint. Children are especially at risk for lead poisoning, whose symptoms include cramps, restlessness, vomiting, and fatigue. Promptly fix paint if you see any that is starting to peel off.
Be aware of these household health hazards.